ZocdocAnswersWhat are some symptoms of plaque psoriasis?

Question

What are some symptoms of plaque psoriasis?

I'm a 18 year old college student. I am male. Over a period of a few years, I have had several patches of red, patchy, irritated skin appear. I've tried moisturizing lotion, which only applies a temporary relief.

Answer

The skin problems that you are experiencing could very well be consistent with plaque psoriasis as you mention, but could also be the result of other skin conditions as well (such as eczema or atopic dermatitis). In any case, you should see a primary care physician or dermatologist for further work-up and recommendations for treatment. Psoriasis is a common skin condition that affects up to 2 percent of the American population. Patients often describe a chronic rash that tends to come and go. The most common subtype of psoriasis is the plaque form, which classically causes a rash of scaly red patches. These most often occur on the extensor surfaces of joints, such as the back of the elbows or front of the knees. However, plaque psoriasis also commonly affects the scalp, back and buttocks as well. Over time, these plaques may become progressively thicker, leading to a classic silvery or white color. Patients with all forms of psoriasis may also experience pitting (ie, small indentations) in the finger- and toe-nails, as well as inflammation of tendons and joints (often involving the fingers and toes).