ZocdocAnswersWhy does my stomach hurt sometimes when my unborn child moves?

Question

Why does my stomach hurt sometimes when my unborn child moves?

I'm a 21 year old pregnant woman. I'm 26 weeks pregnant with a boy. Recently, I have noticed my stomach hurts once in awhile when he moves. I'm taking pre-natal vitamins my OB/GYN prescribed to me. Should I say something to my her?

Answer

If you have concerns about your health, it is always appropriate to discuss them with your doctor. However, it is very common for pregnant women in their late second to third trimester to have discomfort during fetal movements, and even without movement due to the growth within the abdomen. Other causes of abdominal pain include a broad spectrum of disorders, ranging from common gastrointestinal infections and kidney stones to serious problems such as inflammation of the gall bladder or appendix. If the pain really occurs only with fetal movement and you feel otherwise well without fevers, chills, diarrhea, blood in the stool or urine, or other concerning symptoms, then you are probably safe to bring it up at your next regularly scheduled OB/GYN appointment.