ZocdocAnswersWhy have I been experiencing muscle spasms and discomfort in my arm and eye region?

Question

Why have I been experiencing muscle spasms and discomfort in my arm and eye region?

I'm a 25 year old female medical testing technician and my forearm and hand have been spasming to the point that I have had to put down whatever work or activity I was doing at the time. This has lasted for between five minutes and an hour each time it has happened and ends with my muscles feeling like they were being pressed. Additionally, I have been having some migraines and eyebrow and eyelid twitching. This has been happening as long as the arm problem-about six months. I am not taking any medications, nor do I have a family history of anything odd. Should I see my regular doctor or someone with more body-skill, like a chiropractor?

Answer

You should definitely see your primary care doctor as soon as possible. Most of the time neurological symptoms like this are related to fatigue, stress, and the like but it is always important to rule out a serious neurological problem, such as a tumor or bleeding in the brain, whenever symptoms persist or worsen like this. Other concerning symptoms that you should mention to your primary care doctor would include headache that wakes you up at night, dizziness, nausea and vomiting, visual disturbances, difficulty with coordination, seizures, or passing out The spasms in your arm and the eyebrow/eyelid twitching sound most likely to be a fatigue problem from overwork or repetitive motion on your job. If this is the case, modifying your work routine may be helpful. Again, you should rule out serious problems first. Migraine is a very common form of headache. It can be quite debilitating and can impair quality of life. Fortunately, there are excellent treatments for migraine, both to prevent the pains from coming on and also to treat them once they occur. After your primary care doctor has done a thorough exam to rule out more serious problems, they may talk to you about ways to treat your migraines better.