What do you recommend for an inability to maintain an erection during sex?

I'm 40 years old and work the graveyard shift. I think the hours are affecting my sex life. It's unlikely my shift will change anytime soon. I'm not taking any medication and am in good health. Is Viagra or Cialis an option? Thanks for your help!
Erectile dysfunction is defined as the inability to develop and maintain an erection during sex. Therefore, even if you are able to get an erection, if you have real trouble maintaining it, then you have erectile dysfunction (albeit probably very mild erectile dysfunction). Viagra and Cialis are drugs that act to increase blood flow and blood trapping in the blood vessels in the penis. Therefore, they only help if you have some blood vessel disease in that area. Since this is the most common cause of erectile dysfunction, it means that these drugs are most likely to help you. You may even be able to try a half or quarter of the recommended doses to see if it helps. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician (family doctor or internal medicine doctor. He or she can take a more detailed history of your erectile dysfunction and perform a physical exam. Erectile dysfunction from blood vessel disease is fairly easy to treat. If your doctor diagnosis you with ED, then it would be a good idea for you to make sure that your blood pressure and cholesterol are in check to avoid or slow down any progression of the disease. Good luck.

• Dr. Vaughn Dobalian
    Dr. Vaughn Dobalian MD
    340 16th Avenue North
    Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
  • Dr. Michael Hamrock
    Dr. Michael Hamrock MD
    822 Boylston Street
    Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
  • Dr. Robin Snead
    Dr. Robin Snead MD
    20303 Crawford Ave
    Olympia Fields, IL 60461