Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How do i get rid of Acne?"


Acne has been on cheeks for years now


Acne is a common problem. This requires treatment as can progress and cause permanent skin scarring and damage. I would recommend you see a dermatologist (a skin specialist) who can better help you with this.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Dermatologists near you

Acne (known as acne vulgaris) is caused by a plugging of the sebaceous glands. Sebaceous glands are the small skin glands (pores) that produce a substance that lubricates the hair (known as sebum). These pores can become blocked and infected and inflamed, leading to acne. The treatment for acne depends on the severity of the acne. Topical treatments that are first line for mild acne include benzoyl peroxide washes -- this can open the closed pores. Salicylic acid is another topical treatment that works similarly. One step up is using topical retinoids like Tretinonin. This works to help close the pores as well. For severe acne patients can be prescribed oral antibiotics. Another treatment for severe acne is oral retinoids. There are many side effects of oral retinoids therefore are only used if necessary. The oral retinoids notably can cause birth defects so women who may become pregnant should not use this. Treatments like lasers and dermabrasion can also be used if indicated. Talk to your dermatologist. This should be evaluated and a step wise approach to treatment is needed.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.