Why do bumps on my tongue become swollen and painful?

I am a 28 year old Information Technology professional who is overweight and has a normal sleep schedule. I regularly brush and floss at least once per day. When this happens, it seems to be only a single "taste bud" which causes the pain. Heat, cold or any other topical treatments don't seem to work. Only anbesol is able to take away the pain. I am not taking any medications. Who should I see regarding this?
For questions about the tongue becoming painful, you should generally speak with either your dentist, your primary care doctor, or an ear-nose-and throat surgeon (otolaryngologist), depending on the severity of the issue. In your specific case, either your dentist or primary care doctor should be able to help you with this unfortunate problem. While you don't provide any information about your medical history or whether or not you smoke or have any other pertinent medical history, it is likely that this is a localized inflammation of a minor salivary gland, a viral infection that is extremely common, or some other ailment that is very bothersome to you but has a simple explanation. Your issue could be explained by a canker sore, which are extremely common and you have undoubtedly experienced in your life before. The cause of these is not well known, but they are generally short lived and resolve spontaneously. Common viruses can also cause painful bumps on the inside of your mouth as well, and usually take care of themselves. Continue with your good oral hygiene, and if the issue continues to bother you, please see your physician or dentist for more guidance and a "hands on" answer.

Nearby Dentists

• Dr. Linda Winter
    Dr. Linda Winter DMD, FAGD
    1445 North Ridge Road

Other Dentists