Why do I sometimes feel lightheaded or dizzy when I move my head?

I'm a 44-year-old woman. Lately, I've experienced sudden moments of feeling lightheaded or dizzy, mainly when I turn my head after I haven't been moving. I don't get dizzy enough that I fall down or anything, but it's often enough that it worries me. It happens whether I'm standing or sitting, and it doesn't seem to be related to a drop in blood pressure when standing up. I usually take an iron supplement 7 days a month because in the past I sometimes had some dizzy moments during my period and thought that mild anemia related to menstruation might be the cause, but now it seems to be happening almost every day. I recently started taking 2500mcg of B12 and a B-50 complex to see if that will help. I'm not on any medications, and I don't take birth control. I don't feel any pain or pressure in my ears, but wondering if this might actually an inner-ear problem? Are there other possible causes for feeling this way?
Unfortunately, dizziness is a very common problem that increases in frequency as we age. To most completely diagnose your condition, you will need to see a physician in person. It is important to know if it feels like the world is spinning around you. If so, you would likely be diagnosed with vertigo. There are many causes, but from your question it appears quite possible that you are suffering from the extremely common disorder known as Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. In this condition, the part of your body (located near/in your ear) that are responsible, in part, for balance don't function correctly. Specifically, the small crystals in your inner ear that usually inform your body which way is up (literally!) are misplaced, and the misplacement causes your body to be in quite an awkward state. People with this condition suffer especially from rapid movements, such as you are describing. It can be readily diagnosed with a series of positional maneuvers done in your doctor's office (Dix-Hallpike), and another series of positions (Epley Maneuver) is often successful at moving these crystals back to a place where they do not cause symptoms (although some people will have recurrent bouts of dizziness). Please see a head and neck surgeon, AKA doctors">otolaryngologist (AKA Ear-Nose-Throat doctor) shortly, as they will be able to help you with this condition or direct you towards further medical care if there is another condition currently causing your symptoms.

• Dr. William Zimmerman
    Dr. William Zimmerman MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    61 Lincoln Street
    Framingham, MA 01702
  • Dr. Joshua Light
    Dr. Joshua Light MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    4060 PGA Boulevard
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
  • Dr. Steven Feldman
    Dr. Steven Feldman MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    4 Dearfield Dr
    Greenwich, CT 06831