ZocdocAnswersWhy does yogurt cause bacterial vaginosis?

Question

Why does yogurt cause bacterial vaginosis?

I am 33 a year old female, and in recent years I have acquired a taste for yogurt. However, I began noticing that everytime I eat it, I get bacterial vaginosis. I end up having to go the doctor to get a prescription, but they are not able to explain why this happens. I had always been told that yogurt is supposed to help with this kind of problem instead of cause it.

Answer

Bacterial vaginosis is a condition in which an imbalance in the growth of various types of bacteria living in the vagina occurs. This leads to vaginal discharge, odor, and itching. The condition can sometimes be recurrent, and this can be very frustrating. The causes of bacterial vaginosis are often related to something that a person is doing that alter the normal chemistry of the vagina. For example, the condition is often provoked by douching or other vaginal cleansing techniques, as these disrupt the normal bacteria living there. Bacterial vaginosis is also sometimes associated with intrauterine devices (IUDs) and with sexual intercourse in some cases. Frequent use or recent use of oral antibiotics may also be a cause. There is no association between recurrent bacterial vaginosis and ingesting yogurt. In fact, yogurt is thought of as an agent which promotes the health of the vaginal bacteria, as it contains lactobacillus, a common vaginal bacterium. It is much more likely that there is another cause, such as those above, that you have coincidentally associated with eating yogurt. I would start by discussing the issue with your OB GYN doctor or your primary care doctor, who can help you decide what treatments or changes to your routine are needed.