ZocdocAnswersWhy did I lose 100 pounds in about 9 months?

Question

Why did I lose 100 pounds in about 9 months?

I am now 19. Male. The weight loss started when my girlfriend of 2 years broke up with me when I was 17. Then I moved out of my parents house to a new state. I got a full time job at Taco Bell and get my own apartment. I started eating more spicy foods. More stress was in my life. Is this extreme weight loss something I should look into?

Answer

Usually, weight loss that is that drastic and is not associated with a concentrated effort, improved diet and exercise, is concerning and should be evaluated by your primary care doctor. There are a lot of things that you have described that potentially may be underlying this rapid weight loss. Depression can cause weight loss or weight gain and severe stress can cause weight loss. Other causes of weight loss that are more concerning include certain cancers that may present with unintentional weight loss. Other symptoms to look out for are uncontrollable sweating at night time. Unfortunately from your description, it is difficult to assess what your weight was before you lost one hundred pounds, and what your current weight is (i.e. whether you are within the normal weight range or whether you are now under to normal weight range). It is recommended that you be evaluated by your primary care doctor who will be best able to evaluate your medical history, presenting medical symptoms and decide upon the appropriate medical work up. This may include imaging or lab studies, and perhaps a referral to a specialist. They may also decide upon the appropriate treatment options if available.