why do my shins hurt so bad?

im a 20 year old male. I play sports all day everyday so i cant affor for my shins to hurt. I have been hurting for almost 3 years got so bad that i couldnt even walk... A trainer told me it is called shin splints due to running on hard surfaces with worn out shoes and advised me to take a break. So i took a break for 6 months and when i started again i used brand new shoes and only ran on grass, however it still comes back time to time....
This does indeed sound a lot like shin splints, or medial tibial stress syndrome, as it is known medically. Medial tibial stress syndrome probably occurs as a result of inflammation of the tendons and lining over the bone of the lower leg due to the repetitive high impact trauma of running and similar athletic activities. Unfortunately, shin splints can be a chronic problem that doesn't heal easily. The mainstay of treatment is absolute rest or switching to a low impact form of exercise such as swimming. If, however, you took a complete break for 6 months and they are now coming back that means this is something you will probably have to deal with, meaning you will need to change the types of sport you play. Occasionally the problem is related to the anatomy of your foot. Therefore you could see an athletic shoe specialist or a podiatrist about the possibility of special shoes or orthotics. However, this is basically your only option other than rest or change to a lower impact form of exercise. I suggest talking to your primary care doctor or a sports medicine doctor about the problem, as they will be able to help you over the coming months.

• Dr. Camilo Rincon
    Dr. Camilo Rincon MD
    7824 Lake Underhill Road
    Orlando, FL 32822
  • Dr. Syed Mujeeb
    Dr. Syed Mujeeb MD
    411 W. Parker Rd
    Houston, TX 77091
  • Dr. Alex Bernstein
    Dr. Alex Bernstein MD
    3039 Ocean Parkway
    Brooklyn, NY 11235