Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"There is a round bump in my check? What could it be and should I be worried?"

ZocdocAnswersThere is a round bump in my check? What could it be and should I be worried?


I'm a 26 year old male. In my left cheek, there is a solid mass, halfway between the back of my mouth and my lips. Its also about where the teeth would come together. I was told by someone it could be a problem with a salvatory gland, but my doctor said it was probably too forward for it to be that. What kind of specialist should I follow up with, and should I be worried?


At this point in your care, it sounds like you have been taking the appropriate steps towards resolving your question: you've seen a physician, and are looking for more answers. The most appropriate physician to follow up with would be an Ear-Nose-and Throat Surgeon (AKA ENT AKA otolaryngologist), who is used to this sort of problem and can review your past medical history, family history, and ask you the appropriate questions to make sure that this mass is not something that you need to worry about. Until you have been assured by a qualified physician that the mass is NOT something you need to worry about, you need to worry about any new mass. While you are not in the normal age range of patients who present with malignant masses (ie, cancer), it is important to follow up appropriately to make sure. It is important to know how long it has been there, if there are any other symptoms (such as pain with chewing, weight loss, etc), and if it is growing in size. As for the salivary glands in your mouth, there are many of these scattered throughout your mouth, most small but several larger ones that empty into your mouth through ducts. A physical examination should be able to localize the affected area and give you more insight.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.