I am 22 years old with a lazy right eye. Is there any chance of treatment without an eyepatch?

My left eye seems to be getting poor vision too. What should I expect for my treatment? I used an eyepatch as a kid, which helped improve my right eye, but I have stopped using it now.
Lazy eye, or amblyopia as it is called by doctors, is a condition that requires treatment as soon as possible for the best results. This is because of the amazing powers of the brain to interpret visual stimuli, and block out material and stimuli that doesn't make sense. In other words, if your brain is forced to understand conflicting information for too long, it will decide which is best and then delete or block the other information. The fact that you are 22 and are still continuing to address this issue indicates that you need to follow up with an ophthalmologist as soon as possible to obtain the best results, although complete improvement in vision is unlikely at this age. For most children in which lazy eye is noted during routine childhood screening, results can be excellent if started when they are young and the brain is so quick to learn "new tricks." The patch forces the brain to read information that it had been blocking previously, and, with time and further correction often including special lenses, the vision can be preserved. Binocular vision (two eyes) is crucial for 3 dimensional vision and depth perception in particular. Please see an ophthalmologist soon for further treatment options, which might or might not include an eye patch.

Other Ophthalmologists