ZocdocAnswersIs it OK to take Aleve when using creatine monohydrate?

Question

Is it OK to take Aleve when using creatine monohydrate?

38 year old male, 5'9", 140-145 pounds. I'm on a creatine cycle and have hurt my wrist. WebMD says creatine interacts with NSAIDS because both are rough on the kidneys. I'm taking 5 grams of creatine in the morning. Does this mean that I can't take creatine and an NSAID at the same time? Or does it mean when using one, stay off of the other? For instance, I take the creatine in the morning. Would it be OK to take Aleve at night?

Answer

This is an important question to discuss with your primary care doctor or a sports medicine specialist, as these issues can be problematic and require someone who knows you well and knows how your kidney function is and has been in the past. In general, I would be extremely cautious using any NSAID while using any other product that could interact with the kidneys. While creatine is a product that is present to some degree in your body naturally, elevated levels are a marker of kidney injury in and of themselves. The kidneys important role of filtering the blood is impaired with the addition of other substances that require large amounts of filtration. This is one of the reasons that contrast dye commonly used in radiographic studies is used with caution in people with impaired renal function. Additionally, these people will be given extra intravenous fluids to increase the flushing that goes on with the kidneys, and "wash out" the extra solute load. While I would advise working with your primary care doctor directly about your question, I would also advise that you not take creatine while you are taking an NSAID. The research literature is growing about the risks of creatine, but it is not worth putting your kidneys at increased risk over a short term issue.