How do I know if my chest pain is caused by acid reflux?

I have been diagnosed with Acid reflux. I have this ongoing pain in my chest, that my medication for acid reflux doesn't help. It is time for my annual check up, so if we can look further into issue I will.
There are several different types of chest pain. One very common type is simple muscle sprain or strain, often more common in people who lift weights or exercise vigorously. This pain is often worse when you press on the sore area. Another common type is an inflammation of the rib joints, called costochondritis, often caused by the same sorts of viral infections that cause the common cold. Like strains and sprains, this pain if often worse when you press on it. Acid reflux can in fact cause chest pain, which tends to be of a burning, heartburn-like quality, often worse with certain foods or after meals. However, this discomfort should generally get better if you take your acid reflux medication. Of course, the biggest problem to rule out would be chest pain related to a heart concern. If the pain is crushing or if you have shortness of breath, or if the pain comes and goes in relation to exercise (worse when you exercise and better when you rest) then those are all signs that the pain may be related to your heart and that you should seek urgent medical attention.

Other Cardiologists