Why do I get nausea so often?

I'm an 18 year old college student. I take daily vitamins, that I break in half and take morning and night. I take fish oil and flax oil pills every day, and I'm Vitamin D deficient, taking a pill once a week. I'm also on birth control. I most often feel nausea right after a meal, although it comes and goes sporadically. Is it because of the birth control, or eating habits, or something else? What should I take to make it go away? I usually take a couple Tums, and that sometimes helps.
Nausea is a very common symptom encountered in both the inpatient and outpatient setting which has a very broad list of potential causes. It would be advisable to seek care from your doctors">primary care physician, who can ask you more specific questions regarding the duration of the nausea, its potential triggers, relationship to other medications, associated abdominal pain, etc. Potentially any medication could be a cause of nausea, so to answer your question, your oral contraceptives could be the cause. Additionally, if there is any question of your pregnancy status, you should also make sure that you are not pregnant (an often overlooked cause of daily nausea and/or vomiting in the female population). If you note that your nausea is typically coming after a meal, and that it improves with Tums, then it could certainly be related to your eating habits and digestive system. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (ie GERD, or acid reflux) can masquerade as nausea without causing the common symptom of heartburn. Tums works to alleviate the acidity of the stomach, and improvement with Tums may point towards GERD as a potential cause in your case. If your doctor's suspicion is high enough, he/she could try a prophylactic acid-blocking medication that you take every morning to see if this helps alleviate your symptoms.

Other Gastroenterologists

• Dr. Leka Gajula
    Dr. Leka Gajula MD
    16651 Southwest Fwy
    Sugar Land, TX 77479
  • Dr. Ravi Moparty
    Dr. Ravi Moparty MD
    26103 I-45 North
    The Woodlands, TX 77386
  • Dr. Kamran Ayub
    Dr. Kamran Ayub MD
    9921 Southwest Highway
    Oak Lawn, IL 60453