Why do I have pains on my left hip when laying down?

For the past few months I have very strong pain on my right hip. It does not matter which kind of shoes I wear during the day or what kind of activity I engage. I took pain killers ( Tylenol and Ibuprufen) without success.It seems that the pain is less uncomfortable when standing or seating. From wich kind of doctor should I look for help?
For treating hip pain, I would recommend you start with your primary care physician. There are many causes of hip pain that a primary care can help with. Depending on the cause, he or she may refer you to an orthopedic surgeon or a rheumatologist. These specialists however would not be helpful until you have an initial assessment by your primary care physician. In general hip pain can be from many causes. The actual hip joint can cause pain (like arthritis of the joint) but this normally causes back (butt) pain or is located in the groin area. Pain on the outside of the hip (laterally) is rarely caused by the hip, but more commonly by the muscles or tendons or bursa in the joint. A common cause of pain is known as trochanteric bursitis. This is pain on the side of the hip that is worse with motion and worse when you lie on that side. This is caused by inflammation of the bursa (a sac of fluid that lubricates the tendon movement). Sometimes this is severe and requires a steroid injection for treatment. Other joints and tendons and muscles can be involved. There are also nerve and vessel problems that can occur. With any hip pain, one sure ensure the back and the knee (above and below) are not causing the pain. See your primary care doctor.

Other Rheumatologists