ZocdocAnswersWhy does my face break out so bad in the winter?

Question

Why does my face break out so bad in the winter?

I'm a Twenty Four year old male. My face breaks out so bad in the winter, I look like a Meth addict. Pretty much every winter my skin gets so dry and starts to peel off around my nose and eye area around my hair line, all over my forehead. I wash with tea tree soap and use cooler water, not hot. I just do not get it.

Answer

While it is impossible to say exactly what is occurring without a physical exam and talking to you more in detail, we can discuss some simple ideas in this forum and give you direction about who to talk to. Many people will have issues with their skin and they will notice certain triggers that always seem to be related. Unfortunately, you can't avoid cold weather in winter (unless you live in Arizona!). Often, cold air will exacerbate eczema symptoms in people that will not have problems at other times of year. As the skin gets more dry due to less humidity in the air, the skin begins to be bothered more and more by the problem. Sometimes, this dryness then leads to small infections, as the skin is readily accessible to bacteria that are usually repelled by intact skin, and acne will then become more problematic as well. If you have allergies or rough patches of skin in other areas, this also might indicate that you could have eczema. Fortunately, there is much that can be done. A visit to your primary care doctor to start, or to a dermatologist for definitive care can get you started in the right path with regards to hydrating your skin appropriately or using gentle medical lotions so that your problems are not so prominent.