ZocdocAnswersCan the child of a diabetic become hypoglycemic?

Question

Can the child of a diabetic become hypoglycemic?

I am a 35 year old woman and all of the women in my family have been eventually diagnosed with diabetes. My mother recently passed away from diabetes complications - however I avoid too much sugar, starches, and junk food. I have had 6 children, the youngest 3 months old, and am of average size/weight (wear a size 14 and am 5 foot 7 inches tall). I become shaky and dizzy if I do not eat something often- this began in my last pregnancy. My glucose levels are always around 100 or less AFTER a meal. Should I seek treatment?

Answer

Type I and Type II Diabetes do run in families and are diagnosed at higher rates in first-degree relatives than compared with the general public. Symptoms of hypoglycemia (such as tremulousness, sweating, and lightheadedness) only affect patients with diabetes who are taking medications to lower their blood sugar, including insulin and oral medications such as sulfonylureas. If you are concerned about your symptoms, then you should seek care from your primary care physician. He or she can perform screening blood tests for diabetes (such as a fasting glucose level or Hemoglobin A1c, which looks at blood sugar control averaged over the past three months). In the meantime, healthy lifestyle habits such as a well-rounded diet, maintenance of a normal body-mass index and frequent, regular exercise can help reduce your chances of development diabetes and other cardiovascular disease in the future.