ZocdocAnswersWhat could be causing the numb, tingly feeling I'm having in my toes on just my right foot?

Question

What could be causing the numb, tingly feeling I'm having in my toes on just my right foot?

I'm a 20 year-old female, height and weight proportionate with no history of foot problems. I've just recently picked up running consistently five days a week. I have bought new running shoes since the numb, tingly feeling started but it's been 2 weeks now and still hasn't gone away! It's becoming a little bothersome as when I start my run it becomes painful. Is it my shoes? Could it be the way I'm running?

Answer

Numbness and tingling is a concerning symptom. I would strongly recommend that you see your primary care doctor. In addition, a podiatrist ( a foot specialist) may be helpful to better evaluate your symptoms. Numbness and tingling is a sign of nerve problems, known as neuropathy. This suggest that there is some inflammation or irritation of the nerves that supply your toes are somehow involved. The most common cause this neuropathy in your age is compression of the nerve. Exercise can cause inflammation in the feet muscles and tendons. This can subsequently cause inflammation of the nerves in the foot nerves. This likely means you are over exercising or have inappropriate support of your foot. I would recommend that your discuss this with your doctor. Possibly a podiatrist can be of benefit. There are other more serious causes of neuropathy that should be ruled out. There are certain nutritional deficiencies (like vitamin b12 or folate) that can cause this. This is common in vegans. Other problems such as infections (Lyme's disease or syphilis), low thyroid hormones (hypothyroidism), or even some cancers can cause this. This is most likely caused by foot trauma. I believe you need to change your exercise habits and foot support. That being said, you should have other causes ruled out. Good luck!