ZocdocAnswersWhy am I experiencing frequent urination even though my fluid intake has not increased?

Question

Why am I experiencing frequent urination even though my fluid intake has not increased?

I am 27 years old, I am 5'3" and I weigh 225lbs. I gained over 60lbs from pregnancy, I'm working to loose the weight. I have a family history of diabetes, my 57 year old father was diagnosed three months ago, he is a Type 2 Diabetic requiring Metformin 1000 mg BID and 25 units of insulin a night. In the past four weeks I have noticed an increase in urination even though I am not drinking anymore than normal, I have gained 10lbs in the last two weeks and have not increased my food intake, I am now getting headaches regardless of my migraine regimen of B-2 200mg and Magnesium 400 everyday. I also take Wellbutrin XL 150mg 3qd. Late in the evening I am experiencing nausea. My grandfather is also a type two diabetic with the same medications as my father. My great grandmother was also a diabetic and had to have both legs amputated. I am worried that I am a candidate for diabetes. I did an Accuchek at 6:30pm and my blood sugar was 88. I am worried, but afraid to go to the doctor at the same time. Do my symptoms mimic diabetes symptoms? Or could it be a side effect from taking the Vitamin B-2?

Answer

There are a few causes of increased urinary frequency (or polyuria). These often require medical attention. As daunting as it is, I would recommend that you see your primary care doctor at once. The early you address a potential problem, the easier it is to treat. The first cause of poyluria to rule out is a urinary tract infection. Often, burning with urination and changes in the urine (like blood) also occur, but this is not necessary. The infection irritates the bladder causing increased frequency. A simple urine test can diagnose this and a simple antibiotic course can treat this. Another major cause is diabetes mellitus, as you suggest. Given your history and your weight gain, this is a concern. People get polyuria because they are losing sugar in the urine -- there is literally too much sugar in your blood than your kidneys can hold so you spill it. This is a major problem. One fingerstick (while normal) can be not rule out diabetes. Other causes are more rare. This includes diabetes insipidus, a hormonal problem where you can't hold water--this can occur after pregnancy. Another consideration is a mechanical problem (cystocele) after pregnancy. B12 should not effect urination. See your doctor. He or she can do simple tests to figure out what is going on. I would strongly recommend you see someone to address this concerning symptom.