ZocdocAnswersWhy is my sacroiliac joint swollen and painful?

Question

Why is my sacroiliac joint swollen and painful?

I am a 22 year old female with a history of Crohn's disease and knee problems. I woke up one morning unable to walk because of the sharp, shooting pain in my hip. After four days of ice, heat, and bed rest the problem is still as bad as it was on the first day and shows no signs of going away.

Answer

Joint pain is a common condition. Many times this is from a mechanical injury (either acutely or because of repetitive trauma). However, there are other causes that are more worrisome as they represent a body wide (or systemic) illness. Your symptoms are concerning. I would recommend that you see your primary care doctor at once to address this. Arthritis is inflammation of a joint. Keep in mind that hip pain can be caused by other parts than the joint, such as muscle or even organs like the appendix or the bladder. Also keep in mind their are many other joints in the area. It is hard to know that it is the sacroiliac joint that is causing your symptoms without an evaluation. As such, seeing your doctor is important. While there are many causes of arthritis, I would worry about one specific cause in your case -- known as spondylarthropathy. This is a systemic cause of inflammation in the joint, similar (although distinct from) rheumatoid arthritis. Their are many types of spondylarthropathies, but it is classically associated with Crohn's(known as enteropathic arthritis) . In fact, the sacroiliac joint is the classic joint effected. This requires treatment, otherwise the inflammation can eat away at the joint and cause long term problems. See your doctor.