Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

Why does my knee hurt and swell lately?

I am a 30 year old mother of 5. I have recently started walking to loose weight. I am overweight. I also had trouble with the hip (the one that is on the same leg as the knee that hurts) while I was pregnant. I have not had it x-rayed or anything, yet. My knee hurts right in the front part when you bend. I can't kneel on it and it swells a little. I have put ice on it and it seems to help. I have been taking anti-inflamitories, like advil and they help a little too.
Knee pain is actually a very common complaint. While many causes are not very troublesome or serious, there are some that require attention in order to prevent long term problems. I would recommend that you see your primary care doctor at once to address this. Any joint pain requires evaluation. Keep in mind that when a doctor evaluates a joint, he or she must make sure the pain is not referred from the joint above (the hip) or below (the ankle). As you've had hip problems in the past, this is something to consider. When thinking of joint problems, one must consider if its a single joint or multiple joints. Multiple joints (like hip and knee pain) can because by autoimmune disease like rheumatoid arthritis. This should be evaluated by your doctor. It does sound like your pain is more from the joint itself. This can be from misalignment or instability of the joint. What you describe could be consistent with patellofemoral syndrome, where the kneecap (patella) is misaligned. Physical therapy can be helpful for this. Other instability problems can occur from ligament, muscle or meniscal (cartilage) tears. I would recommend that you talk to your primary care doctor. This should be evaluated.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons

• Dr. Luis Grau
    Dr. Luis Grau MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    750 S.W. 49th Ave
    Coral Gables, FL 33134
  • Dr. Thomas Goberville
    Dr. Thomas Goberville MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    660 Glades Road
    Boca Raton, FL 33431
  • Dr. Arjun Saxena
    Dr. Arjun Saxena MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    1225 Whitehorse Mercerville Rd
    Mercerville, NJ 08619