Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"I have an excessive runny nose and dizziness, what are these possible symptoms of? "

ZocdocAnswersI have an excessive runny nose and dizziness, what are these possible symptoms of?


I am a runner and every time I run I have to carry like 10 tissues to blow my nose, this has been going on for about a year. I also get dizziness or vertigo on occasion, not sure if this is related to excessive mucus. I'm not any any medications


This is an interesting and unfortunate problem to have, and one that will require more information before we can definitively say what is happening. First, it is important to know how long this has been happening for, what symptoms you have, what other medical conditions you have, how old you are, what your past medical and surgical history is (any ear problems before, such tubes when you were younger), and whether or not you have any allergies? Also, do you generally run outside, where allergies could be more of a problem or where changes in the air temperature could play a part as well? Does the runny nose and dizziness stop immediately after you stop running? As you can see, you need to speak with someone directly to answer these questions completely, and an ear-nose-and-throat surgeon (otolaryngologist) would likely be a good place to start. You are on track in thinking that dizziness can be related to fluid or mucous that builds up and involves the inner ear. You also could have some issues with sinus drainage that starts with the pounding that happens when you run. It could be that the exposure to cold or hot weather outside, or the allergens in the air as you run are involved. Some people also have more nasal secretions that are created when they start becoming active. There are things that can be done to help with these issues, but it does sound as if you need to speak to a physician directly to truly understand your problem and correct it.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.