ZocdocAnswersI would like to know if my baby would have a normal life?

Question

I would like to know if my baby would have a normal life?

I am 14 weeks pregnatnt & I was told my baby has Omphalocele. I really want to get the best advice & also another opinion & I am looking for a specialist.

Answer

I am so sorry to hear that your child has been diagnosed already with this condition. Fortunately, we live in a day and age when there is much that can be done with this condition so that children can eventually have an entirely normal life, depending on what other medical conditions the child may have. Initially, there will be a surgery that will be performed very soon after the birth of your child. A C section may be needed to optimize the timing and outcomes of the birth and the surgery. Following birth, the surgery will correct the rotational defects of the gut that have happened in your baby, and will mean that your baby will be in the hospital for some time. This surgery is becoming more and more common, and a well qualified pediatric surgeon will have performed many of these with very good outcomes. He or she will likely meet with you before the birth of your child, and will have more information at that time. For now, you will want to meet with an obstetrician who specializes in high risk births, as he or she will be familiar with this condition and will be able to guide you in the appropriate direction and answer your questions completely. And finally, to answer your question: yes, there is a very good chance that your baby can have a normal life, especially if he or she has just an isolated omphalocele without other associated conditions. Your doctor who diagnosed your child will be able to answer these questions as well.