ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have a white milky discharge?

Question

Why do I have a white milky discharge?

I am a 23 year old male and have been experiencing a white milky discharge with no discomfort when I pee. I do not have any other reactions to anything that I know of and do not have any other symptoms. Should I take anything over the counter or should I see a doctor. Thank you for any information you can give for this.

Answer

This type of discharge sounds like something that needs looked into, probably by a primary care physician such as a family doctor or internal medicine doctor.. The majority of time white discharge from the penis is due to urethritis. The white material itself is made of white blood cells that are there fight the infection. Urethritis is caused by an infection with bacteria often the culprits being Nesseria gonorrhea or Chlamydia. This syndrome usually causes burning with urination, though some people are do not have this and only have the white discharge. Another possibility (that is less likely) is that you are having unprovoked prostate discharge (where semen is produced). I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will want to take more detailed history of your symptoms and a history of any recent sexual partners. Also, you will need a bacterial culture of this discharge to determine if there is anything infecting your urethra. Based you the details of you symptoms, you doctor may opt to treat you for gonorrhea and Chlamydia even without seeing the results of the tests to make sure that it doesn't progress. The treatment is two antibiotics, one shot and one pill. Good luck.