ZocdocAnswersI've been getting migraines for the past 2 weeks what should i do?

Question

I've been getting migraines for the past 2 weeks what should i do?

I am an 18 year old female. At first I began to get headaches regularly, then it began to get worse and I started to have them all day i tried taking migraine pills but it didn't work, I even tried getting my eyes checked but that wasn't the problem. I don't know what to do. Do I have brain problems?

Answer

Headaches are a very common problem but anytime there is a change in your headaches or they are getting more severe or frequent and do not respond to over the counter medications, it is important to seek care. Your primary care doctor will take a full history and do a complete exam, focusing on your neurological system, and depending on what he or she finds may prescribe medication, discuss lifestyle changes, order imaging or blood work, or refer you to a specialist such as a neurologist. If your headache becomes severe or is associated with other worrisome symptoms, seek care immediately. There are many different types of headaches, each of which have slightly different treatment. In general, here are some things which may be triggering your headaches and some things which might bring you relief until you see your doctor. Stress is a huge trigger of headaches. Try some relaxation techniques such as meditation. Lack of sleep is also a common cause of headaches so try to get at least 8 hours of sleep at night and go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. Certain foods and beverages trigger headaches in some, caffeine being a very common culprit. Try keeping a "headache diary" where you keep track of sleep, diet, stress level, and anything else you feel might be contributing to your headaches. This will be very helpful to review with your doctor.