ZocdocAnswersMy 2 year old son has a pain in his leg that comes and goes, can it be Lupus?

Question

My 2 year old son has a pain in his leg that comes and goes, can it be Lupus?

I'm not sure what is wrong with my baby leg. And every time I take him to the emergency room and the doctors do an x-ray, they tell me that they can't find anything wrong with his leg. But when the pain comes, it hurts him so much to the point where, he can't even walk on it at all. What should I do about it?

Answer

Being a parent is a difficult job, especially when your children don't seem to feel well. It seems like you have been taking the right steps, in that you have already taken him to see a physician. Unfortunately, doctors aren't always able to answer every question right the first time around. That is why it is so important to establish a relationship with a doctor or practice who you can see regularly, so that your child can be followed for some time and anything concerning can be addressed with the help of time. In fact, time can be one of the most helpful tools a doctor has to diagnose conditions, as serious conditions will generally persist or get worse, while random complaints will usually get better by themselves. Please go see your pediatrician that has been caring for your son thus far to address this issue in more detail. Now, for some specifics. Many things can cause leg pain in young children. Usually, the serious ones don't come and go in this manner, and you can feel reassured by the fact that the other doctors have not found anything. If there is a family history of this sort of condition, then that information would also be helpful in arriving at a diagnosis. X-rays are excellent for diagnosing diseases of the bones, but if the pain continues, there are other ways to look at the soft tissues (such as muscles) of the leg. Again, please continue to follow up regularly with your child's pediatrician, and sooner if the pain comes again. Lupus would be an unusual cause of leg pain in a 2 year old.