What can be the reason for food getting stuck in my esophagus?

I am a 45 year old single mom of 3, for the past 7 years I have an issue with food getting stuck in my esophagus. It can be anything for a soft boiled potato to a peice of cake, the food gets stuck to the point where I can feel the esophagus trying to move the food down or up, I have had my son do the heimlich manuever with no results, I have at times tried to force myself to vomit and have gone as far to break all the blood vessels in my face. The last time this happened I was trying everything possible for 45 minutes and the pain just got worse, Fire and rescue were called and i was taken to the ER. I have been to a GI about 5 years ago and they saw nothing.... no webbing or shrinking of the ring. I am at a loss.
When food gets stuck in the esophagus, it can be a very uncomfortable feeling. We call this feeling dysphagia, also known as difficulty with swallowing. It sounds like you are having problems specifically with food because you haven't mentioned fluid getting stuck. The causes can vary from problems with the esophageal muscles, problems with the lower esophageal sphincter, esophageal webs and rings (which they didn't see last time), to esophageal cancer. Esophageal cancer is a much less likely since you symptoms seem have been around for 7 years. There are multiple treatments for this type of problem, but they depend on getting a definitive diagnosis. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist (GI specialist). After a thorough history of your symptoms and a physical exam, he or she can perform a diagnostic procedure to determine why you are having these problems with swallowing. The best test for this will depend largely on the details of your past medical history. You may need a barium swallow test, an esophageal scope, or a maybe even lower esophageal sphincter manometry (I know that's a long list). I also suggest that you get this looked into sooner than later because of the potential for it to get worse in the future.

Nearby Gastroenterologists

Other Gastroenterologists