Why doesn't my one year old have teeth?

My daughter just turned one and she only has two teeth (bottom, front). She got them just before her birthday, and I am getting worried because all the baby books say that they should have teeth beginning at six months. Is this normal? Should I take her to a doctor or a dentist? Apart from the teeth, she's a very average baby and has no other health issues.
Many parents worry about the timing of the appearance of their infants teeth. Your baby sounds completely normal. Although the majority of infants get their first tooth between 4 and 7 months there is a wide range of what is considered normal. Very rarely a baby is actually born with their first tooth! And sometimes the first tooth does not appear until a year and a half. By the age of 3 your baby will have a full set of 20 baby (or deciduous) teeth. Your baby seems to be following the normal order that teeth come in. The first two teeth to appear are usually the bottom two middle teeth, followed by the top two middle teeth and then the sides and back teeth. You can't do anything to speed along how quickly the rest of her teeth will appear, just try to be patient. Very rarely, delayed eruption of all teeth can be a sign of a problem such as rickets or hypothyroidism but this is extremely unlikely in your daughter's case as she already has two teeth. To relieve your concerns, be sure to address her teeth during your next well visit appointment with your pediatrician.

Other Pediatricians