ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do to treat moloscum warts on arms?

Question

What can I do to treat moloscum warts on arms?

My daughter is 18 months old and has had moloscum warts spread across her arms, neck, face, and chest for over a year now. We have tried OTC wart remover, Vinegar, and patience. We were told to wait it out but they have continued to spread and we have had enough! Should we see a dermatologist? Do you have any remedies to suggest?

Answer

It sounds like your daughter has already received a diagnosis of molluscum already. If this is the case, and it has spread to multiple areas of her body, then there may be some underlying abnormality that is causing her to be susceptible to these. The first step with these types of warts, especially in toddlers, it to wait it out, because most of the time they go on their own. Depending on the number of warts, the treatment most often used is cryotherapy. This is where the doctor uses a wand that has been supercooled in liquid nitrogen to freeze the wart. This kills the underlying tissue and the wart falls off. This is not generally don for warts on the fact. OTC wart removers don't work that well, and Vinegar won't do anything. If it has been almost a year, and some of them have not gone away, then it is time to see a specialist. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a dermatologist. He or she can examine these spots very closely and determine for sure if they are molluscum warts. There are topical medications that dermatologists occasionally use in certain circumstances. if cooperative, there are some patients that actually need laser treatment to get rid of the warts. Good luck.