search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why is one of my feet itchy, red, and flaky?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy is one of my feet itchy, red, and flaky?

Question

I'm a 21 year old college student. I use flip flops in the shower and when I go to the pool. This has been like this for a while, a year approximately. It doesn't itch all the time. I've tried itch creams and lotion just because i thought it was dry skin. I'm trying to avoid the podiatrist

Answer

You may have contracted a fungal infection known as Athlete's Foot. This is a common infection of the superficial skin; it usually affects the area between the toes, and can cause a variety of symptoms, including skin that is red, itchy, and flaking. It can occur on other parts of the body as well (such as the groin, when it is called Jock Itch), and is usually contracted in the setting of walking barefoot in a commonly used and moist area such as a locker room or shower. Fortunately, there are a number of over-the-counter medications that are available which are effective in eradicating the infection. You can try using either a miconazole cream or terbinafine cream/powder. If these treatments are not effective or if these symptoms do not sound like what you are experiencing, then you can see your primary care physician for further evaluation and treatment. If you are diagnosed with Athlete's Foot and treatment is started, it is important to remember that the infection can recur if proper foot hygiene is not followed.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances