ZocdocAnswersWhat can cause excessive sweating?

Question

What can cause excessive sweating?

I am a 30 year old male living in northern Michigan. Regardless of the temperature or whether or not I am feeling cold, I constantly sweat from my armpits. While annoying, I am more concerned that this may be a symptom of a greater problem. could this localized sweating be caused by a more serious condition? I use super powerful antiperspirant to control the problem, but that doesn't eliminate it. I have had this problem since I was a teenager, and haven't had any other major medical problems, but am still curious.

Answer

Some further information would be very helpful in getting to the underlying cause of your increased sweating or hyperhidrosis. Are you obese? Does the sweating occur all the time, or only at certain times? Have you noticed that stress or anxiety worsens your sweating? These are all important questions that you should bring up with your primary care doctor. The answers to these questions, along with your medical history and clinical presentation will aid him or her in deciding upon the appropriate work up. They may request lab tests or imaging studies, or refer you to a specialist. If you believe that you have increased sweating at times when you are in a stressful situation, or feel very anxious, then there are a variety of treatment options to address the management of stress and anxiety which you may find to help with your sweating. It may be that this is your bodies normal reaction and not related to any underlying pathology. If this is the case, there are treatment options available for hyperhidrosis but again, it is best that you complete a medical evaluation and based upon the findings, treatment options be discussed if they are indeed available and warranted.