Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

Why does my right eye make a squeaking noise if I rub it when I am tired?

I am a 24 year old mother of one. I do not take any medications regularly. My eye has made this noise for as long as I can remember -- it almost sounds like windshield wipers going across a dry windshield. Should I be concerned about this? Should I bother going to the doctor? My eye does not hurt and they are not dry. I do wear contact lenses, but the sound started happening long before I started wearing contacts.
Any problem with the eyes or eyesight is concerning. Eyes and vision are a sensitive issue that requires attention. I would recommend that you talk to you doctor for more information. The eye is covered by the cornea -- the outer layer of the eye. This requires lubrication to remove the small particles in the air the come into contact with the eye and would otherwise scar the cornea if not "washed" away. Because of this our body has lacrimal glands which are commonly known as tear ducts. Our body produces tears to lubricate the eyes, more so when we are tired and our eyes requires more help. This fluid can accumulate under the eyelid. With motion, this fluid can cause sounds that you are describing. Therefore what you describe could be normal. There could be a few things that are causing increased fluid production. Allergies, viral infections, or bacterial infections could all do this, but only allergies would persist this long. Normally allergies affect both eyes. That being said, any other symptom would warrant further evaluation. Do you have a change in vision? Do you have a red eye? Do you have any eye pain? Any of these symptoms would require further evaluation. Talk to your doctor.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!