Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Could the bulge in my belly be an ovarian cyst?"

ZocdocAnswersCould the bulge in my belly be an ovarian cyst?


I am 43, female, mother of two, an occasional smoker, and am overweight. 9 months ago a grapefruit sized ovarian cyst was removed along with all of my female reproductive organs with the exception of the other ovary. Since the surgery, I have had many compliments on my "weight loss" which I attribute to the cyst being going. I did lose nearly 40 pounds in the time before and directly after the hysterectomy. Three months after this surgery I had to have emergency surgery to repair an incissional hernia. Since the hernia and the reduced ability to work out, I have regained twenty pounds. My question is that I have a very noticeable bulge over the navel that expands side to side. The bulge is not tender or soft. Could this be another cyst or could it be where the new fat gain has deposited? My doctor didn't think much of it but I know that it is new and different for my body.


When someone presents with a bulge in the abdomen after having an abdominal surgery, my first thought is that this could be an abdominal hernia secondary to the surgery. It sounds like you have already had one hernia fixed which was fixed. While this makes a second hernia a bit less likely, there is still a chance that this represents a small non-strangulated hernia. These are usually not tender and may or may not be soft. It is also possible that you have a second ovarian cyst, but if you do it is showing up in the wrong area. I would expect a cyst in your one remaining ovary to be closer to your pelvis. A new fat deposit is also possible, but would be unlikely to show up as a distinct bulge in such a short amount of time. The best thing for you to do is get a second opinion on this thing. If you have shown it already to your primary care doctor, then you should schedule an appointment with your OBGYN that performed your operation. He or she can examine this bulge can get a CT image of the abdomen if necessary. If this is another hernia, then you will need to have it repaired.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.