Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why does my right ankle hurt whenever I walk?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy does my right ankle hurt whenever I walk?


I am an 18 year old male who loves sports. I play tennis and run track and field. Whenever I walk or turn my right ankle, it hurts on the left side right under the bone. This problem started when i about 12 years old and first noticed it when I fell. After running track in 7th, 8th, and 9th grade, it has been feeling better. However, recently, the pain came back after playing a game of soccer. I do not take any medications for it, and cream such as Bengay does not affect it.


There are many causes of ankle pain. Some of these are transient and minor, while some are more serious and will continue to trouble you. I would recommend that you have this evaluated by your primary care doctor. If necessary, he or she may refer you to an orthopedic surgeon. Given your young age, this should be evaluated prior to permanent damage to the foot and or ankle. There are many parts of the ankle that can be injured and cause pain. The bone can be injured after trauma and subsequently cause pain for years. In addition, the ankle has many muscle attachments and bone attachments. These are known as tendons and ligaments. With repeated use these can be stretched and inflamed -- this is known as a strain or sprain. This can occur after repeated use -- commonly known as "twisting an ankle." The other component of the ankle that is commonly injured is the plantar fascia. This is the connective layer under the heal that becomes inflamed with repeated use -- known as plantar fasciitis. This happens after repeated use if the arch of the foot is off. I would worry about this in your case. You may need shoe inserts to prevent this from continuing or special shoes. The fact that you have had this for years is concerning. Talk to your doctor.

Need more info?

See a podiatrist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.