ZocdocAnswersIs there a cure for asthma?

Question

Is there a cure for asthma?

I am a 40 year old female and I have had asthma for 8 years now. I take a daily preventative medication (inhaler), but I am wondering if my asthma can be cured? The symptoms get worse when I am sick with a cold or when I have allergies, but sometimes it seems to be getting better and I wonder if there is an actual cure for this disease, or if I will always have to treat it?

Answer

Unfortunately, there is no medicine or procedure that can be done to cure asthma. With that said, there are people that (over time) end up not needing to use their rescue inhalers or preventative medications as much. In addition, some people with asthma find that after a move to a different climate that their asthma improves drastically. It sounds like your asthma gets worse during a viral respiratory tract infection and probably better in certain types of weather. This very common. Most asthma patient such as yourself end up finding a combination of inhaled and oral medicines that help keep their asthma under control. Most people with asthma need to have both an inhaled steroid (such as Flovent, Symbacort, or Advair) along with a rescue inhaler such as albuterol to keep their asthma symptoms in check. Some also require an oral medication such as Montelukast. If you do not think that your asthma is adequately controlled, then you should schedule an appointment with the physician who prescribes your medication (primary care physician, pulmonologist, or allergist). Your doctor will make sure that you are on a good combination of the right medicines. People with severe or out of control asthma should get referral to pulmonology or allergy for further work-up and treatment.