We have revised our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Please take a look.

Why am I experiencing sharp pain in my right heel on my foot?

I am a 30 year old female. I am a stay at home mother to two who also watches two other children. I’m on my feet all day running around taking care of the kids. I most often don’t wear shoes as I’m inside a lot of the day. When I do, they are easy slip-ons. I experience the pain the worst when I’m getting up from resting for a while, whether it’s sitting down for a bit or just getting out of bed. The pain is directly in my right heel and is very sharp with each step I take. It even hurts to try and rub it out. I’ve had no injury to my foot at all, and certainly nothing to explain this pain. I've been experiencing this for about the last 4-6 months.
Heel pain is common. There are a few possible causes of it, however there is one cause that is most likely. Regardless, I believe you need to see your primary care doctor for a proper diagnosis. In addition, this likely requires treatment and he or she can help provide it. Heel pain that you are describing is classic for Plantar Fasciitis. The plantar fascia is a thickened ligament type tissue that spans the bottom of the foot. This area of the foot can become inflamed if overused. Some people are predisposed to this, often based on the "arch" of the foot. Improper or no shoes can sometimes worsen this. When this gets inflamed, people experience pain on the bottom of the foot towards the back. This is often worse with movement and it is classic that the first step of the day is the worst. There are treatment options which include foot braces and most often inserts into your shoes to support the arch of the foot. Inflammation can also be reduced with pain pills. Other causes include a fracture of the bone or skin infections. Muscle or tendon problems are also possible. Talk to your primary care doctor. This can be treated. Good luck!

Other Podiatrists

• Dr. Ryan Shock
    Dr. Ryan Shock DPM
    Podiatrist
    6611 River Place Blvd
    Austin, TX 78730
  • Dr. John Mozena
    Dr. John Mozena DPM, FACFAS
    Podiatrist
    8305 SE Monterey Ave
    Portland, OR 97086
  • Dr. Paul Jones
    Dr. Paul Jones DPM
    Podiatrist
    8305 SE Monterey Ave
    Portland, OR 97086