Can you tell me why I hear popping or clicking sounds coming from my neck when I turn my head?

I have never had any neck injury other than a case of whiplash when I was younger. I am 40 years old. I am 5'8" 145 lbs. I am a t-10 paraplegic. I have herrington rods in my back. I am 5'8" 145 lbs. My neck hurts me especially badly if I am doing something that requires me to look right or look left for more than a few minutes at a time. The p[ain is chronic at the end of the day after being up in my wheelchair for long periods of time.
Your complaint is fairly common. There are a few causes of this neck pain and "sounds" that could be contributing. I would recommend that you have this evaluated by your primary care doctor. In addition, if you already have a neurologist (who follows you because of your paraplegia) This could be a sign of a minor problem or a serious condition. The most common cause of neck pain that is worse at the end of the day is caused by musculoskeletal inflammation. Inflammation is a reaction caused by the body for any injury (infection or trauma). This inflammation can occur in any location -- but the most common place is in the muscle or tendons. The neck has many muscles that are constantly in use. Especially for someone in the wheelchair, this is often caused if there is strain or stress on the muscles. There are treatments for this, including prevention. You may need a new wheelchair or technique. Physical therapy is also very helpful for this. Another cause of the pain could be degeneration of the spinal column. This is more likely to cause the sounds you are referring to in addition to the pain. X-rays can help diagnose this. Talk to your doctor. Good luck!

• Dr. Robert H. Woods
    Dr. Robert H. Woods MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    9767 North 91st Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85258
  • Dr. Anand Devaiah
    Dr. Anand Devaiah MD, FACS
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    830 Harrison Ave
    Boston, MA 02118
  • Dr. David Walden
    Dr. David Walden MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    320 Superior Ave
    Newport Beach, CA 92663