ZocdocAnswersCan I take Advil and Tylenol together?

Question

Can I take Advil and Tylenol together?

I'm a 21 year old college student. I have some rib pain from a car accident-- I've been given the all's-clear and am expected to just take some OTC painkillers. But Advil alone isn't doing it! Can I take Advil and Tylenol at the same time?

Answer

Advil and Tylenol are often prescribed together as part of the conservative management of a variety of musculoskeletal complaints and other pain syndromes. Tylenol is a great pain medication when taken at the appropriate dose; several doctors will prescribe 1000 mg of Tylenol every 8 hours. If that does not do the job, then adding Ibuprofen (Advil) is often the next step. A common pain dose is 400-600 mg every 8 hours. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as Advil should be taken with food, as they can diminish the protective barrier lining the stomach and make it more susceptible to the development of ulcers. NSAIDs should not be used if you have any history of peptic ulcer disease or kidney disease. You should avoid Tylenol if you have certain types of liver disease. You should also ask your doctor about prescribing a topical medication such as a Lidoderm patch. If your pain is superficial on the rib, then a patch may bring you relief without any of the risk of systemic medications that you take by mouth.