What's the best way to get rid of ringworm when it doesn't respond to OTC topical applications?

I am a 24 year old male college graduate with no previous history of ringworm or fungal infections. I do participate in high levels of exercise activity 4 times a week. The last time I saw a doctor, she suggested that I try Lotramin Prescription strength,which did not help.
Most of the time when topical medications are applied correctly, tinea corporis responds very well and improves within about 3 weeks. If you have tried to use the cream for at least that long with no improvement, than you should let your physician know so as to be able to consider alternative therapies. You will also need to speak with your doctors">doctor to make sure that it really is ringworm (which is very common, and especially so among young, active males who use communal exercise facilities). Additionally, it is important to make sure that you don't have other medical conditions that could be making you more susceptible to the fungal infection, so that it is not responding. Finally, you will need to talk to the doctor that treated you first because you will likely need to use a systemic (something that treats your whole body, not just the affected spot) therapy, usually an oral anti-fungal medication. These are generally well tolerated, and people usually will have resolution of their symptoms within 3 weeks of starting the oral therapy as well. A phone call to the doctor's office might be enough to get a prescription, if the doctor knows your past medical history well and feels comfortable.