ZocdocAnswersWhen I bend my left knee, there is a certain points where I hear a *click*. Do I have arthritis?

Question

When I bend my left knee, there is a certain points where I hear a *click*. Do I have arthritis?

I'm 13 years old with an Asian background. I've recently noticed that my left knee join has been making a noise when I bend my knee pass a certain point. It doesn't itch or hurt at all. I have recently started break-dancing, as well as started training for running. Do I have to lay off for a while?

Answer

If this is a recent problem that correlates with your new activity of break-dancing, then you may have caused a subtle injury to the ligaments or cartilage in your knee. In particular, you may have damaged the meniscus in your knee, which is a layer of cartilage that cushions the bones that comprise the knee joint. A meniscal tear is often caused by a twisting motion in the knee while the foot is fixed, which may well occur in break-dancing. Typically the tear is associated with pain at least initially or after several days, but this can be variable. You should see a primary care physician or orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation. There are certain maneuvers on physical exam which can help the doctor determine if you may have a meniscal tear or other damage to your knee. If suspicion is high enough, then an MRI can be obtained to get a better look at the structures within the knee. In the meantime, it would be advisable to rest the knee, and to avoid activities that would place stress on the knee, such as break-dancing for example.