Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

Why do I feel sick to my stomach when I wake up every morning?

I am a healthy 22 year old white female. I don't drink, or smoke, etc., and do my best to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Yet every morning when I wake up, as soon as I get out of bed I have this awful sick feeling; it's all I can do to keep from throwing up, even though there's nothing in my stomach. I have not recently changed my eating habits, and I maintain a rather healthy diet for someone my age who's always on the go (no fried foods, very little fast food, as many veggies as I can get...). This has been going on for months now, and I'm not sure what to do to fix the problem. I've tried eating something as soon as I start to feel sick, and while I'm eating I feel better, but as soon as I'm finished and it settles into my stomach I feel just as sick as before. Now I'm starting to feel this way during normal hours of the day. I just don't know what to do.
Nausea is the uncomfortable feeling of needing to vomit, and can be caused by a variety of factors. This is because it is a very complex reaction involving nerves and nerve centers in your brain, your stomach, and other parts of your body, any one of which can result in the sensation of nausea. One very important question in your particular age group is whether or not you are pregnant, as that is an obvious cause of morning sickness. Other questions that are important have to do with changes in your bowel habits, and if there is any family of abdominal or bowel disorders. Finally, do you personally have any other medical conditions? Any of these would offer clues about the potential cause of your nausea. The sensation of being sick to your stomach can come from causes as diverse as your emotional state, the birth control pill or contraceptive method that you are (possibly) using, the foods that you eat and any digestion difficulties you might have (such as the possibility of lactose intolerance), and a myriad of other factors or causes, some of which could be serious and should be discussed with your doctor in person. If you have had weight loss or other symptoms over that same period of time, please discuss these with your doctor as well.
Find doctors and make appointments online!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)