ZocdocAnswersWhat is this lump on my leg?

Question

What is this lump on my leg?

I'm a 23 year old male, about 6' tall and about 250lbs. I've noticed for the past few years that after walking or exercising for a little bit, a lump appears on the front left of my left leg, about halfway between the knee and ankle. There's no pain associated with it, and I've always associated it with my muscle, like how a muscle tightens up and becomes more pronounced after activity. I've noticed it on my right leg before, but it's way smaller and barely noticeable. It's probably about halfway between dime and nickle sized.

Answer

Lumps and bumps that we notice from time to time should always be evaluated by a physician. While the vast majority of these findings are benign, natural parts of our body, they do occasionally represent a bigger problem. Since you notice this problem only when you exercise, then it likely represents a mass that gets bigger when there is increased blood flow to that area (which occurs during exercise). Most likely it is just muscle that when contracted forms a ball of sorts that feels like a mass to you. Another reassuring aspect of this is that you have noticed it on the other leg (albeit smaller). This makes a dangerous mass such as a cancerous tumor even less likely because these things don't pop up on opposite sides of the body. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician (family doctor or internal medicine doctor). He or she can take a look at this area and determine if there is anything concerning. Most likely, your doctor will decide to do nothing and just watch it at each of your routine visits. If there is any concern, you doctor may decide to get a CT scan of your leg to better define the area. Good luck.