Can being disabled cause you to not have regular menstrual cycles?

I'm 21 years old and have never really had a regular cycle, and I am in a wheelchair. I am not sexually active nor have I ever been. It use to be where I would get a period every three months or so but it has now been 9 months since my last period. I take Detrol LA and Trimethroprim and have been since I was about 9.
Periodic menstrual cycles are a normal part of a female's physiology. As such, any changes from a normal monthly cycle should be investigated. While this could be caused by a minor process, this could be a significant disease. I would recommend that you discuss this with your OB / GYN. Normal menstruation should occur 25-35 days. In general, the process is caused by an intricate series of hormones that are regulated by the brain (hypothalamus and pituitary gland) as well as the ovaries. These hormones cause a build up and eventual shedding of the lining of the uterus. This shedding of the lining is the menstruation process. The menstruation process can be altered at any part. The hypothalamus can be affected by stress and therefore cause a stopping of menstrual cycle. Emotional or physical stress can cause stop of menstruation. Low body weight or severe exercise also causes this. Pituitary damage can also cause this. Ovarian failure or damage can cause it. Finally, anatomic problems of the uterus can be responsible. One thing that must be said is that pregnancy must be ruled out in any women with decreased periods. Talk to your ob / gyn. This should be evaluated. Some process are minor but some are serious. Being disabled may qualify as stress on the hypothalamus, but other causes should first be ruled out.

• Dr. Jan Friberg
    Dr. Jan Friberg MD
    OB-GYN
    845 N. Michigan Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60611
  • Dr. Tae Noh
    Dr. Tae Noh MD, FACOG
    OB-GYN
    4585 Stevens Creek Blvd.
    Santa Clara, CA 95051
  • Dr. Carsten Ronlov
    Dr. Carsten Ronlov MD
    OB-GYN
    3851 Katella Ave
    Los Alamitos, CA 90720