Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Is there any way to fix near-sightedness without surgery & twitching?"


I am a 13 year old girl. I am near-sighted. I was wondering if there was a way to fix it without surgery? I always have a tendency to lose my glasses, and I don't want to wear contacts because I heard it makes your eyes itch. Is there a way I could fix my near-sightedness? I heard that if you exercise your eyes, it could get better? Is it true or not? Also, if I use my computer for too long, I feel a twitching once in a while when I use my computer for too long. Is that possible or what is happening. I feel like my eye is moving but it actually isn't. It started like 1 month ago. It goes away but if I use my computer for so long...


Myopia (the technical term for nearsightedness) is extremely common problem even in people you age. The reason it happens is that light entering the eye does not focus properly on the retina which is necessary for the brain to perceive a normal image. The best two initially options for this problem is glasses and contact lenses.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Ophthalmologists near you

These both act to bend light a certain amount that is required for your retina to receive focused light. Glasses can be a tough thing to manage, especially in someone your age. Contact lenses may be an easier thing to for you to handle, since losing them is not as much of a problem. As long as you use the proper contact lens fluid, I don't think it will make your eyes itch. Besides, I would not recommend writing off this option without trying it first. Laser surgery is a very viable option for you sometime when you are older. It has been a life time cure for many people with myopia. With regards to your eye twitching, this is common in people who try go focus on objects such as a computer screen for prolonged times. Your eyes probably just need rest. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your optometrist. He or she can discuss contact lenses and refer you to a surgeon sometime down the road if you feel this is the right option for you.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.