ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have pimples?

Question

Why do I have pimples?

I am 22 years old!. However when I sweat, my face starts to grow pimples because of dirty skin. So I called my doctor and he prescribed a external facial cream to treat my pimples. It works after a few months. I also used all type of facial cleaners and none of them works. It is better to go to your doctor!

Answer

Scientists believe that there are four major factors that lead to pimples: 1) increased production of a protein on the skin called keratin which leads plugging of follicles and the creation of "pimples;" 2) increased production of an oily substance called sebum that helps to plug the follicles; 3) breakage of the pimples which causes inflammation of the skin; 4) and finally a bacteria called p. acnes that lives on the skin and helps to worsen the inflammation. Pimple is a generic term for a form of acne called an open comedo. It is the result of the plugged follicle containing the excess keratin and sebum. It is frequently associated with a hair follicle which can contribute to its black color. There are several important ways to help limit their formation. First, you can choose a face wash that is designed especially for acne. There are many on the market, and the most common ones contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. And as you noted your doctor can prescribe other types of cleansers not available over the counter. Second, wash your face gently and with your just your fingertips or hands. Scrubbing your face hard can only make things worse by increasing irritation and inflammation. Finally, avoid oily products for both your hair and your face. Making sure you clean your face after exercising or doing other activities that cause you to sweat is very important. If the blackheads are still a problem after all of this you should talk with your primary care doctor about other options.