ZocdocAnswersWho should I see about sharp pain in the front of my lower leg after running?

Question

Who should I see about sharp pain in the front of my lower leg after running?

The pain is sharpest after a couple miles, it fades to aching after an hour of rest, as long as I don't try to jog. I am 29, male, 5 foot 11 and 155 pounds. I always stretch and warm up before running. I am otherwise reasonably healthy and moderately active.

Answer

There are a few reasons for this sharp pain that you are describing in your low leg. Before we get to the possible causes, a little more information would be helpful. Does this sharp pain radiate down your leg or is it constant and fixed in place? Do you have any swelling in your ankle, knee or hip? Do you have any tenderness along any of these mentioned areas? These are important things to note and will be important to discuss with your primary care doctor. It is best to discuss these complaints with your primary are physician because he or she will best be able to evaluate your medical history, clinical exam, and presenting problems and decide upon the appropriate work up. This may include imaging studies or a referral to a specialist. In terms of broad categories, you could have some compression on one of the nerves exiting from your lower back, you could have some degenerative changes in your hip, knees, or ankle, or hair line fractures anywhere in your leg. Of course, there are other less common possibilities, such as metabolic syndromes and muscle disorders, but these are beyond the scope of this discussion.