Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What can I do about my dry facial skin and redness? "

ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do about my dry facial skin and redness?


I'm a 39 year old male and have a history of seasonal allergies. I live in South Carolina and usually around this time of year Feb-April is when the dryness on my face is at it's worst. I had gone to a dermatologist and he prescribed me Xyzal saying that my symptoms were caused by allergies specifically mold and dust mites. My allergies are better as I've aged but the facial dryness and redness is a problem I can't seem to get rid of. The Xyzal works sometimes but most times it does not.


So sorry that you are having to deal with this issue year after year. You had the right thought by going to a dermatologist, as they are the experts with this sort of thing. The fact that your symptoms are worse in the spring (and recur every year at that time) indicates that your dermatologist is probably correct in saying that it is at least partly allergic in origin. If you've tried his or her first recommendation without success, it is good advice to speak with the prescribing physician again prior to taking the next step. Sometimes he or she will know you well enough to recommend additional therapy without having to actually have an office visit, and so it is at least worth a try. Alternatively, the physician might want to see you to get some idea of how much the symptoms have improved, if at all. Mold and dust mites are issues that should be present year round, and it might be worth discussing a seasonal treatment given that your symptoms are worse at this time of year (such as pollens that are prevalent as the flowers finally start to come back). Either other anti-histamines or perhaps even gentle steroids (topical or systemic for a short dose) might be warranted, but you would definitely need to speak with a physician prior to moving into any of the next phases of treatment. Alternatively, an allergist might offer some additional options for treatment.

Need more info?

See an allergist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.