I have recently had re-occurring nose bleeds, should I see a doctor?

Two weeks ago I was elbowed in the nose and begin to bleed profusely. Since then I've woken up with nosebleeds several times. Additionally sometimes blowing my nose will start a nosebleed. Should I see a doctor or go to the hospital? Could the Aleve or Advil I"m taking as a painkiller be causing involved in this (because they're both blood thinners.)
This is an unfortunate problem to still be dealing with weeks after the initial injury. In most cases, the problem that you are describing starts with an injury to a small plexus of blood vessels in the front of your nose. When they are injured, they bleed easily and will continue to do so easily because of the delicate nature of the blood vessels and relatively high volume of blood that they carry. Your problem is made worse by the fact that winter, with cold, dry air, also dries the normally moist mucosa of the nose so that the blood vessels are not as protected and rupture more easily. Finally, to top it all off, you are taking two blood thinners (aleve and advil, both of which are non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or NSAIDs) that keep your platelets from working at full capacity. Platelets are especially important in stopping small mucosal bleeding, such as what happens in your nose. When you sleep, it is common to have small traumatic events, like rubbing your nose firmly, that you are not even aware of. In your situation, that is all it takes to start the bleeding again. Fortunately, by backing off of the NSAIDs for a few days, using nasal saline irrigation (available over the counter) for hydration, and perhaps using a humidifier at night, you should be able to control your problem quickly. Please see your otolaryngologist (ear-nose-and throat surgeon) if the problem persists or you have other symptoms.

• Dr. Evan Ransom
    Dr. Evan Ransom MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    450 Sutter Street
    San Francisco, CA 94108
  • Dr. John Austin
    Dr. John Austin MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    7200 Wyoming Springs Drive
    Round Rock, TX 78681
  • Dr. Bradley Johnson
    Dr. Bradley Johnson DO
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    3366 Oakdale Ave N
    Robbinsdale, MN 55422