ZocdocAnswersWhat are some natural ways to help with pelvic floor dysfunction and bladder spasms?

Question

What are some natural ways to help with pelvic floor dysfunction and bladder spasms?

I had laparoscopic surgery in January and have been diagnosed with PFD, I'm going to have urodynamics and have been going to Physical Therapy but I still feel tense and spasms.

Answer

Pelvic floor dysfunction is a difficult, but increasingly common condition. Unfortunately, not a lot is known about this condition, and so treatments (both natural or otherwise) are fairly limited. That being said, there are a few therapies that have some benefit. I would recommend that you work closely with your doctor to help this situation. In addition, a urogynecologist (a specialist in this area) would be of benefit. Pelvic floor dysfunction occurs with the muscles that make up the pelvis (bottom of the abdomen) no longer work together in an organized fashion. This dysynchrony of the muscles can cause impairment in urination, defecation and pain. Treatment is focused on trying to re-organize the muscles back to the normal working form. Physical therapy is really the cornerstone of therapy (to strengthen and organize the muscles). In addition, biofeedback is an important step. This is a process (often done by a therapist) where people learn to control the muscles (for example, waiting for the appropriate stimulus to defecate. This stimulus can be measured by pressure probes or by simple sensation). Other supportive therapies include allowing the bowel and bladder to function with minimal effort. High fiber diet and stool softeners can help. Drinking adequate fluid can also be helpful. I would recommend talking to a urogynecologist.